Saturday, March 7, 2009

I hate saturdays!!

I am escaping to my office from the usual saturday drudgery.
"Saturday is a special day it's the day we get ready for sunday"
It doesn't feel very special to me. Almost every saturday my husband is gone as usual, so I am left to do the chore wars. I have made charts, tried incentives, threatened and even cried, and most of the time it is the same. Adding little ones into the mix is certainly not helping I do admit.
The older ones are getting better, it's just the" let's see if she doesn't notice that I didn't clean the bottom of the toilet . You only sit on the seat right" or "I didn't know I had to empty that trash too? "
But trying to teach toddlers and four year olds to pick up their toys is a true lesson in patience, of which I do not seem to have much these days. IT is only 11 am and I have changed 5 poopy diapers (& pullups) fixed crepes, cleaned up a glass of milk off the floor, refereed two arguments, paid the payroll taxes I forgot to pay, reminded them for the fourth time that they have to vacuum their room too, answered some emails, cleaned my bathroom, started the laundry to wash the poopy clothes from the four year old who won't go on the potty and watered my plants. Stake conference is this weekend, and since it is a regional broadcast affecting the whole valley, there are no babysitters available, and I won't even be able to attend that tonight.
Does anyone have any good suggestions as to how to make Saturdays more enjoyable yet still teach my children the value of work and helping to maintain our home?

2 comments:

  1. Well, you could do the work on Friday! Of course, then you'd hate Fridays :)

    I am not a mom yet,but I was a nanny for 8 years so take it for what it's worth....I was watching "Jon and Kate plus 8" and they do the coolest thing. On Saturday night, they have movie night. It is the only night of the week when they watch movies. Everyone wears PJ's. She makes popcorn, and adds a different treat like M&M's every week. They get to drink soda pop! Everyone brings their blankets and pillows to the TV room and they watch the movie together. She said Saturday night is the best night at their house. So, maybe add something fun for the evening after the chores are done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the thought, and that is what I try to do, but most saturdays, it seems like we can't ever get the chores done in time to do something fun.WE really don't have that much to do either. Each person has two household chores, then if their room is not clean, ( which usually its' not) they have to clean that up as well. Occasionally we will have group things to work on like pulling weeds or cleaning the garage etc. It usually is about dinner time, then baths, showers and bed. This is not always the case, but it seems like it is so more than not.

    ReplyDelete