Friday, February 6, 2009

our journey


Our journey started almost six years ago on an early morning walk with my friend Ms. Aimee.

I will spare you all of the long details, but suffice it to say, I arrived in an orientation class for fostering and here we are.

IT has been a bumpy road at times, but the blessings have outweighed the challenges. WE have four wonderful biological children and they have been a part of this from the beginning. You see we are not just "foster parents" we are a "foster family". The children that we are blessed to have come into our home become a part of our "family" WE are not a babysitting service, thus we have to be prayerful and careful about who we bring into our family. We want them to be able to feel a part of our family, and we need to be able to meet the needs of each child that comes to us. IF those two conditions cannot be met, then it is not a good fit, and the long term effects of the child needing to be moved can be very detrimental so we try to make sure we are making the decisions that are best for everyone involved. Each one of these children is a special little child of God and he needs responsible caring people to step up and be a safe and loving place for them to fall.

These children do not have a voice of their own and it is up to us to be that voice for them. We are advocates for these children. We can be advocates for their biological family as well as we work with them to help them regain their children and thus their family.

We have had some very sweet and humbling experiences as we have helped put a family back together. ( I will cover that more later)

Some people say" I don't think I could do that" Do what? Love a child? Give them a safe place to live? Help them with school? teach them some discipline and self respect?

Granted some of these children have MANY issues and may need some therapy and extra interventions, but in my experience with over 20 children is that Heavenly Father will help make up the difference where you may lack. HE will give you insipiration to know what to do to help them. HE will give you the capacity to help those children whom you have been entrusted with. Remember they were His children first, so he is very concerned with their welfare.

This journey has had such a profound effect on our lives, that I felt that we should share it. Maybe it is not something you feel you could do, but maybe it will touch someone who might think"I can do that" "I can help make the difference in a child's life"

You will not regret it.

3 comments:

  1. Love this blog Anita and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita,

    Since starting my own family two years ago, any time I have heard about little children in terrible situations, my heart just aches. I have always wondered about fostering and although it wouldn't be something I would think about for a while, I would like to ask you how your older children feel and cope with the situation.

    I love that you always make it a prayerful decision about who you take in. I didn't realise you could choose.

    Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I found your blog off of MMB and can totally relate. We are foster parents as well. We have adopted all of our children through foster care and are hoping to adopt one more. It is not an ease road but you guys are a wonderful example.

    Marium

    ReplyDelete